facebook logo CS
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss everything related to goose decoys, and decoy strategies here - But nothing else please.

TOPIC: Homemade snow geese

Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20849

so ever since the season has opened i have had on thing on my mind.... the spring snow goose conservation order! this has had me spending countless hours surfing the web looking for more dekes. to hunt snows some guys and gals have spreads numbering in the thousands. but those shells are high dollar. does anyone have any homemede ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20852

Their are many ways to guild some home made deks. I have seen lots of videos on youtube with ideas and i'm sure their are a lot of guys on here with good ideas.
  • Earl
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 22

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20863

Although not homemade, I have 600 Sillosocks and they are reasonable in price, not to mention effective.
  • Bryan Eckert
  • Lots to Say
  • Thank you received: 20

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20866

Here is a link to macks for 100 texas rags for $33...thats where we started....after that we started painting canada shells as we replaced them with full bodies...

www.mackspw.com/Item--i-TEX123S

here is a pic from a few years ago of part of our spread....this was before we used dowl rods though

What we decided to do was take a wooden dowl rod, drill a small hole in one end for the size of a wire clothes hanger, then take the wire hanger and bend the top to a 90 degree angle, then take the long flat part and pull it out to a diamond shape, the push the 2 outside points upwards, insert the hanger into the rag body (which gives the rag a fuller look), then run the hanger top through the knot, and into the dowl rod (which is stuck into the ground).....the dowl rod also gives the rags a swing in the wind as well
  • Mike Dodd
  • Regular
  • Thank you received: 27
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Mike Dodd.

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20881

For years now I have thought of ways to increase my spread of honkers. I do not snow goose hunt, we dont have them here in eastern MN. FB are very expensive for sure. I wish there was a way.... I'll have to do some playing with ideas. We have 3 maybe 4 weeks left up here... then its -15 degrees for 3 months :angry:
  • DuckJunkie
  • Gold Supporter
  • Thank you received: 86
Ryan Marrinan
FOUNDER

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20884

I am sure that there is canada rags as well, the rags are inexpensive for the amount and are weather proof as well.

-15, can you say brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Mike Dodd
  • Regular
  • Thank you received: 27

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20885

I'd think the cheapest way to add numbers to your spread,Canadas or Snows is by making the plastic board cut out silos. Expecially the snows, ,the board, a saw and a little black paint ....you can make a bunch in a hurry.
  • JoeH
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 64

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20892

JoeH wrote:
I'd think the cheapest way to add numbers to your spread,Canadas or Snows is by making the plastic board cut out silos. Expecially the snows, ,the board, a saw and a little black paint ....you can make a bunch in a hurry.

X2 Joe. I know Ive mentioned them before, but I still use about 25 of the 200 silos I made of plywood 20 years ago. I still think that the black and white of a silo shows up better to the birds than a lot of the decoys made today. I made them from 1/4" plywood and painted them in exterior flat paint. Thats all I ever used until 2 years ago. Now I run shells and FB's but really its only because I like the look better. The birds dont seem to care either way.
  • DougC
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 28
VA Field Staff

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20893

ok all this topic is posted in another forum, but I will repost some info here...

this pic, is with silos I made from 4x8 sheets of corrugated plastic and a few cans of spray paint. they are mixed in with ghg shells, and approx 10% of the silos are intentionally left black or black and white. this greatly increases visibility at a distance (esp helpfu when running traffic...

this pic is a snow flyer I made from the 3" blue styrofoam insulboard avail at any home improvement store... I cut the general outline, then shaved/rounded the edges to more of a body shape. cut a slit in the body to insert the wings made from the left over plastic from the silos, painted and has a stake inserted... i probably am going to remove the "fixed wing" design and have the leading edge of the wings "stiff" and tape/attach white plastic so the wings will have a flapping action in the wind...

i cut 13 silos out of 1 sheet of plastic and figure I can cut 9 flyers per sheet of insul board... the corrugated sheet cost is $20 per 4x8 and insul board is $15. spray paint is $1.59 per can (3 colors white/grey/brown) and 1 quart of flat white for flyers $3.75 (do not try to spray the insul board as it will melt from the aresol... {trust me it is a mess})
i don't think thats too bad... $43.52 for the entire supplies, can make 23 dekes (13 silos & 9 flyers) that relates to $1.98 per deke! can't get much cheaper and easier than that!!! plus the cost & time goes down significantly is you are ony cutting snows and get the sheet in white instead of black, alot less time painting and drying
  • Greg Ohler
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 68
Greg Ohler
PA FIELD STAFF

Re: Homemade snow geese 2 years 5 months ago #20895

plus to "tag" along with what mike and bryan said... silo socks and rags are effective and very cost effective as well...

100 rags for $33 + 50 48" stakes $37.50 (cut in half yourself) = $70.5 per hundred = $0.07 per
12 silosocks for $39 = 3.34 per

compare to the cheapest economy shells I found at $5.83 per
  • Greg Ohler
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 68
Greg Ohler
PA FIELD STAFF
Moderators: Mike Hauser
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds

Newest Users

• sosqgtnhy
  • zncgxh9896
  • fdqrbuytbr
  • spugojmnf4
  • fwenwtoliyn

Who's Logged In?

• Eiswnybbp

Sign in with Facebook

Current Top Members